Q&A Board

Profile Search Log in Register

Kanekutter FYI Texas Nat Forest

Post Reply Back to Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic
Incognito

View profile
Send e-mail

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:48 pm Post subject: Kanekutter FYI Texas Nat Forest

153,179-acre Angelina National Forest

160,000 acre Davy Crockett National Forest,

160,656-acre Sabine National Forest

163, 037 acre Sam Houston National Forest,

17,785 acre CADDO National Forest

Big enough for ya?

I don't know about the rabbits, I have coonhunted in the Angelina NF and the Davy Crockett NF and the Sam Houston NF. Im sure there is a bunny somewhere in all those acres.

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:48 pm Post subject: Advertisement

POTLICKER

View profile
Send e-mail

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:24 pm Post subject: Kanekutter FYI Texas Nat Forest

Texas National Forrests are larger than most states. Incognito I am looking for a male Plott dog know of one in your area.

Incognito

View profile
Send e-mail

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:31 pm Post subject:

Potlicker, I don't know of many Plotts around here. I know a guy that has one be he won't tree. Mack Garrett used to have 3 or 4 Plotts, I don't know if he has them anymore. A good plott is like a good redbone, they are as hard to find as hens teeth. Sorry Pappy, I just had to say that.

kanekutter

View profile
Send e-mail

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:31 pm Post subject:

Thats pretty big but i'm talking WMA's though, we have some huge national forest here also just not many people hunt them for some reason. Our national forest here in north Georgia is Chattahoocee national forest, it has 749,689 acres. Is that Big enough for you?
You can hunt Bear, Deer, Hogs, turkeys, quail, Grouse, rabbit, fox squirels, rattlesnakes, any critter you can think of indigenous to the southeast?

Incognito

View profile
Send e-mail

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:18 pm Post subject:

Kutter we used to have some huge WMA's around here, one was just south of me right by the private land that I hunt. It was close to 30,000 acres. The land is owned by timber companys, for years it was just open land, go and hunt what ever ya wanted. The timber companys then donated the hunting rights to the state and the state turned the land into WMA's and sold permits to hunt for $45. Then the timber companys decided they were throwing away to much money, so they took the land back and leased it to deer hunting clubs. The land is leasing now for around $10 an acre. And goes up every year. Most of the big hunting leases around here that are lightly managed will cost you $800 to $1500 a year to hunt. And you better not tell them you want to turn a dog loose.

hippiemiller

View profile
Send e-mail

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:31 pm Post subject:

aint that the truth incognito

better not even utter the word hound when trying to get on a lease in east texas. there are very few leases that i know of that cater to houndsmen but they are so clickish that it is next to impossible to get on, they have openings but dont want to bring in anymore dog hunters for fear of the added pressure and fear of someone coming in and slaughtering all there rabbits. the main reason i gave up coon hunting and got into beagles. little did i know that it was just as bad.
potlicker just get you a good walker dog. ive never seen a plott that could beat one...just kiddin. but good luck on your search

merry Christmas ya'll

POTLICKER

View profile
Send e-mail

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:10 am Post subject: Kanekutter FYI Texas Nat Forest

Hippiemiller I am wanting a hog dog.They are a few of us beagle hunters that are working on hunting Ft. Hood about 20 miles from my house, 800,000 acres it will cost $100.00 a year.got some good friends that are range officers there and rabbits!!!! man they got the swampers and cotton tails.I was born on Hood before it was a post. Hog huntin is really gettin popular here so I be looking for a black mouth cur or a plott dog.Oh ya kanecutter we have a forrest in just my county bigger than ya"lls and oh ya forgot we got more peaches too . lol. Merry Christmas to all.

Incognito

View profile
Send e-mail

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:08 am Post subject:

Potlicker the Plott that I was refrering to that didn't tree is a hog dog. I think a pretty good at that. I have hog hunted with him. THe guy told me that he was looking for a female to breed him to, if he does I will let ya know.

hippiemiller

View profile
Send e-mail

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:36 pm Post subject:

yeah i hear those plotts have some grit...also heard those airedales make one hell of a hog dog. the hog dogs got real popular around here with the explosion of hogs, they even let you hunt hogs with dogs in the sam houston national forest at times, dont know whats getting worse, the hogs or the cayotes. we use to run the cayotes with some fine walkers and july hounds in lovelady tx. some 25 years ago

hunt6

View profile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:52 pm Post subject:

dont know whats getting worse, the hogs or the cayotes. we use to run the cayotes with some fine walkers and july hounds in lovelady tx. some 25 years ago
snip

When I was in Texas as a youngin a man came out to the ranch to run.He used 1/2 - 3/4 greyhound and the rest walker cross to run yotes.I've seen them run a yote down and kill em.Impressive.The hog dogs we used were a pitt - hound cross and a few big brindle mountain curs.Tough as nails with no quit.
Hunt6 David P.

Post Reply Back to Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1